About The Montana Trappers Association
Who We Are
What is the MTA?
The Montana Trappers Association is a non-profit organization of concerned and active conservationists who promote proper management of Montana's furbearers, who develop proper predator control, maintain a positive public image and help perpetuate quality habitat.
Who is the MTA?
We, the trappers of Montana, join together to create a more effective voice through cooperative efforts in the conservation and management of Montana's furbearing animals, in the development and application of proper and effective predator control methods, and to develop and maintain the public image of trapping as a legitimate, desirable, and compatible enterprise of modern man; to stimulate an increased understanding and awareness of the impact of modern society and man on his environment; and to encourage citizen, legislative and administrative action toward the protection and restoration of our natural and historical heritage, and the creation of trapper attitudes which reflect these values, through creative planning and education.
Articles of Conduct
- Help perpetuate quality habitat
- Respect the animals - trap humanely
- Urge that furs be used for true needs of people
- Take good care of furs from trapline to market
- Respect fellow trappers and other land users
- Support research in trapping methods and requirements of furbearing wildlife
- Know the laws, obey the laws, help enforce the laws
- Trap according to management objectives for the land
Articles of Purpose
- To inspire in our membership a desire to practice the ethics of true sportsmanship towards others who wish to enjoy the recreation and pleasures of the outdoors.
- To develop leadership for perpetuation of the interests of the trappers and the fur industry as a whole and the control of predators that cause damage to livestock, agriculture and wildlife.
- To impart knowledge to our membership and fellow trappers of the importance of conservation.
- To aid the youth in acquiring skills and attitudes in our advocation which are compatible to good conservation and to encourage all trappers to cooperate with recognized conservation-minded organizations in the furtherance and continuation of general conservation practice.
- To inspire all trappers to honor regulations pertaining to furbearing animals, fish, and wildlife, animal seasons and habitat, and to report to the proper authorities any violation that is evident, and to also report any endangered, species.
- To advocate a comprehensive research program regarding the conservation of furbearing animals.
- To cultivate a feeling of goodwill and mutual understanding through proper respect of the rights of landowners and fellow trappers who have exclusive permission to trap specific definable properties.
- To eliminate unnecessary cruelty and waste in the prusuit of trapping.
- To discourage, expose and eliminate unjust and fraudulent trade practices in the marketing of raw furs.
- To aid and cooperate In bringing about the apprehension and punishment of fur and trap thieves.
- To oppose and request revision or repeal of any law or regulation which is biased and discriminative toward the trapper.
- To oppose any proposed legislation which would impose unreasonable restrictions on the taking of furbearing animals, or the sale of the pelts thereof.